Overthrow can only currently be played in Multiplayer Co-Op (MP) mode, however you can still play solo in that mode. You do not need to setup a server, just follow the instructions below it takes 5 seconds to start playing Overthrow.
- 1 Single Player / Hosted multiplayer
- 2 Dedicated Server
- 3 DLC
- 4 Mods
- 5 Save and Load
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6.1 Why can't I play in Single Player anymore?
- 6.2 Nothing happens after mission starts, no "New Game/Load Game" menu appears?
- 6.3 How do I report a bug?
- 6.4 I don't like ACE. Why does Overthrow require ACE?
- 6.5 Can we disable ACE medical?
- 6.6 What about the gun shaking?
- 6.7 Something else is not working/I have a question not listed here
Single Player / Hosted multiplayer
- Subscribe to the mod in the Steam Workshop
- Make sure to also install the base requirements: ACE3 and CBA
- Open the ARMA 3 launcher
- In the launcher, Load the Overthrow mod + ACE + CBA (Overthrow is a MOD, not a mission, you must load it)
- Go to Multiplayer > Server Browser in the Arma main menu
- Click on "Host Server"
- Click the "Host Server" Button
- Choose a map, Overthrow is officially available on the Tanoa, Altis and Malden 2035 maps.
- Choose the Overthrow mission for that map on the right side
- Click play
- Click on the "Host" position and then "OK"
- You will see an Overthrow menu, click on "New Game" and then "Start Game", see here for the differences in Difficulty
- See Getting Started for some tips on how to start overthrowing
Main Article: Dedicated Server Setup
Overthrow is optimized to run on a dedicated server and a good one will provide the best play experience. See Dedicated Server Setup for more information. Persistent mode is both supported and recommended.
- APEX - Some buildings and items from APEX are used by Overthrow, yes even on Altis, we apologize but you should grab it anyway, Overthrow is arguably best played on the Tanoa map
- Helicopters - The Huron/Chinook is used by NATO
These DLC are NOT required, however will be used by Overthrow if available
- Jets - Hornets will spawn and NATO will use upgraded Radar + Towed AA, in future updates the carrier will also be used. But this DLC will remain as optional for the near future
- Marksmen - The added items/weapons will be available to import
- Karts - You can buy the karts at any vehicle dealer or procure them at bases & warehouses
- Contact - Adds another map to play Overthrow on (Livonia)
- Tanks - We think the tanks in this DLC are a bit OP, so they are not used in Overthrow
- Laws Of War
- Tac Ops
Main Article: Mods
- ACE3 - This will improve your experience and Overthrow gameplay relies on it heavily, however if you know what you are doing, you are free to configure/remove ACE modules at your discretion. "Advanced Medical" is available as a mission parameter when you start the mission, but "Basic Medical" is currently a requirement
- CBA - Required by ACE3 and most Arma mods tbqh
- RHS - adds lots of stuff and more faction reps that will sell you RHS gear and vehicle blueprints, NATO will use random BLUFOR weapons and some vehicles will spawn at bases
- JSRS Soundmod - a little better than the vanilla sounds
- Enhanced Movement - works well with Overthrow now
- ACE Compatability - make sure to load the ACE Compat mods for any other mods that you use (namely RHS and JSRS)
- Most vehicle mods that add civilian faction vehicles (they will spawn on the streets, CUP doesnt work currently, see below for more info)
- Any weapon mods (they will show up on criminals and some gun dealers, is possible to import them), NATO will use random BLUFOR weapons
- Any vehicle mods that add OPF and IND faction vehicles (you can unlock them via faction missions and produce them in the factory)
- RHS does work! make sure to load the ACE Compatibility mods for RHS as well. OPFOR and IND factions will have representatives you can buy RHS gear and vehicle blueprints from, NATO will use random weapons
Mod support coming soon
These mods are currently not well supported, but support is being worked on (ie stop asking k thx)
- Some mods that add civilian vehicles (ie CUP Vehicles) are not working entirely, some are
- TFAR (Works in basic mode, advanced doesnt work)
- ACRE2 (It works, just isnt integrated into shops and with transfers)
Please note: Changing your modlist after a game has been started can cause issues. Adding mods is usually ok (although new factions won't show up), but removing mods definitely causes problems.
Save and Load
ARMA 3's save is disabled. Overthrow includes a persistent save option that will save your progress and everything you own no matter where it is on the map. Press 'Y' and go to 'Options' then 'Persistent save'. We recommend that you "restart" the mission and load this persistent save as opposed to loading an arma save, this will ensure that your map starts off fresh and gives you maximum performance for each play-session. There is also an option for Autosave (off by default) in the options. On a dedicated server the user must be a General to access these options.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why can't I play in Single Player anymore?
Single player has a lot of issues atm, mostly to do with respawning. We simply haven't had the time to look into it but plan to in the near future; after which Single Player mode will be reactivated. In the meantime you can still play solo by hosting a LAN game, the only difference is you cannot pause.
Another mod you have loaded is causing a problem, remove all of them apart from ACE, CBA and Overthrow then try again. You can re-enable mods one by one to find which one is the issue. If you are using RHS, make sure to also load the ACE Compatibility mods for RHS as well.
How do I report a bug?
The best way is via the #bug-reports channel on our Discord server: https://discord.gg/R3ghxge
I don't like ACE. Why does Overthrow require ACE?
ACE adds a multitude of QOL (Quality of life) improvements such as repairing, better grenade throwing and much more. Early on we decided it best to fully integrate. You can switch off 99% of ACE changes by going to Addon Settings within Arma. This works on a dedicated server as well (click on Server tab if you are admin, even if its already highlighted) and these settings are saved on the server between reboots. The only thing you cant switch off is ACE medical (see below).
Can we disable ACE medical?
No, sorry. Overthrow currently requires it for a few things and it would be a pain in the ass to code it to support both with and without. The "Basic" (default) version of ACE Medical is really very simple, just Bandages for wounds -> Morphine for pain -> Epinephrine to revive.
What about the gun shaking?
ACE actually reduces gun shaking compared to vanilla Arma. It will shake less if you catch your breath first. Using a bipod will also eliminate shaking completely, and holding RMB or left shift will hold your breath to reduce shaking
Something else is not working/I have a question not listed here
Come talk to us in the #support channel on our Discord server: https://discord.gg/R3ghxge